An International Publisher for Academic and Scientific Journals
Author Login 
Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences | Volume-11 | Issue-01
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy in Pediatric Surgical Wound Care My Experience in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Bangladesh
Dr. S.M. Khalid Mahmud, Dr. Jahanara Laizu, Prof. Dr. Aminur Rashid, Dr. Aminul Islam, Dr. S. M. Mahmud
Published: Jan. 23, 2023 | 14 15
DOI: 10.36347/sjams.2023.v11i01.019
Pages: 113-119
Downloads
Abstract
Background: In recent years, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has been used in complicated pediatric surgical wound care; burn wound repair, plastic surgery, bone and tendon ligament injury repair and other treatment. Clinical studies indicate that, PRP has a good curative effect on wound care. But in Bangladesh, we have very limited research- based information regarding the outcome of platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy in complicated pediatric surgical wound care. Aim of the Study: The aim of this study was to evaluate the outcome of platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapy in complicated pediatric surgical wound care. Methods: This prospective observational study was conducted in Bangladesh Shishu Hospital & Institute Dhaka, Bangladesh during the period from January 2021 to June 2022. In total 34 pediatric patients with complicated surgical wound were recruited as the study population. In all cases, the treatment procedure was carried out using autologous donations. Collected data were processed, analyzed and disseminated by using MS Excel and SPSS version 23.0 program as per necessity. Results: In this observational study, in analyzing the final outcomes we observed that, among total 34 complicated pediatric patients with surgical wound, in more than one third of the cases (68%) wounds were healed whereas in the rest 32% cases wound were not healed. The mean ±SD hospital staying period was found as 6.45±2.16 days whereas the mean ±SD healing time was found as 11.47±3.29 weeks. Conclusion: As per the findings of this study we can conclude that, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has a good curative effect on complicated pediatric surgical wound care. This study can provide reliable evidence for the clinical use of PRP in the clinical cure/repair of several wound.