An International Publisher for Academic and Scientific Journals
Author Login 
Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences | Volume-12 | Issue-02
Sociodemographic, Clinical & Biochemical Features in Children with Nephrotic Syndrome: A Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Bangladesh
Md. Reaz Uddin, Mohammed Anwar Hossain Khan, Md. Kabir Alam, Rezwana Ashraf, MT. Anjumanara Khatun, Habiba Jesmin, Mohammad Tareq Imtiaz, Farhana Bushra, Subrata Roy, Sabrina Akter, Shabnam Sharmin
Published: Feb. 28, 2024 | 48 61
DOI: 10.36347/sjams.2024.v12i02.018
Pages: 200-205
Downloads
Abstract
Background: The estimated incidence of nephrotic syndrome is between 2-7 per 100,000 children worldwide, with higher rates reported among those with African and South Asian ancestry. There is a significant gap in the literature on the role of socio-demographic modifiers of nephrotic syndrome in children in the long term. This study aimed to evaluate the sociodemographic & clinical features in children with nephrotic syndrome. Methods: This descriptive study was conducted at the Department of Pediatric Nephrology in the National Institute of Kidney Diseases & Urology (NIKDU), Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka, from November 2019 to June 2021. Children of age group 1-12 years with primary NS enrolled in this study and a total of 108 patients were included. Informed written consent was taken from the parents. Ethical clearance was obtained from the institutional ethical committee. A purposive sampling technique was used in this study. On entry into the study, a detailed history was taken & proper physical examinations were done. Routine investigations such as complete blood count, CRP, serum albumin, serum cholesterol, serum creatinine, Mantoux test, screening tests for hepatitis-B & hepatitis-C, urine RME and culture sensitivity, X-ray chest, and serum C3 level were done. All investigation was done from NIKDU except the MT test that was done from Dhaka Shishu Hospital. Infection was screened out and appropriate measures were taken. The data were collected and preserved in a case record form (CRF). The collected data were analyzed using Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) software, version 23.0. Results: The majority of the patients (50, 46.29%) were 5 to 8 years old, followed by (40, 37.03%) 1-4 years old. Mean ±SD 5.42±2.67. Most of the patients (73, 67.6%) were male and the rest (35, 32.4%) were female, the majority (71%) belonged to rural areas. Regarding socioeconomic status, the majority of the patients (80, 74.08%) belonged to low-income families. .......