Original Research Article
July 16, 2020
A Survey Report on the Career Choice, Attitude, Expectations amongst Dental Students – A Cross Sectional Study
Sruthi Susan Abraham, Sneha Tarol, Sneha Susan Raju, Anzil K. S. Ali, Kiran Mathai, Supreetha S
Sch J Dent Sci | 84-91
DOI : 10.36347/sjds.2020.v07i07.001
Objective: To assess the drivers behind choice of dental career, student expectations regarding dental career, estimate the prevalence of burnout during the early stages of career and studentship among currently studying and newly graduated general dental practitioners of Kerala using simple questionnaires. Methods: A Cross sectional study was conducted with the study sample being derived from a group of students from the third year, final year, interns and a few clinicians who have completed their course no lesser than 2 years prior. This study exempts the first year and second year group of students. The data for this study was collected using questionnaire schedules using a descriptive survey design with 713 students, over the time period of 45 days at various colleges in and around Kothamangalam, Kerala. The questionnaire was designed such that it includes 18 questions regarding the influences for choice, attitude and expectations regarding one’s career. Results: Among the 713 students,, interns and practitioners surveyed 32% individuals opted for dentistry out of their own personal interests while 40%, chose dentistry due to inability to procure a medical seat. A majority of the participants (75%, n=534) have shown to have future plans regarding their careers of which 331 (62%) would like to pursue postgraduation or overseas education programs; pursuing endodontics 109 (33%), orthodontics 76 (23%), pedodontics 56 (17%) being the more popular choices. The remainder of those not intending to pursue a postgraduation (n=112, 21%) would opt for a general practice. Around 371 (52%) mention change in expectations over the years regarding their career choice and potential outcomes. Following completion of three years under the undergraduate programme a significant n=285 (40%) opted ‘yes’ for a career change at this point while the remainder (n=428, 60%) chose to stay on the same track. Their reasons for opting for a change include ‘interest in another subject’ ........
Removal of an Inverted Impacted Mesiodens Perforating the Nasal Floor via Labial Crevicular Approach- A Case Report
Hamza Hassan Mirza, Abul Khair Zalan, Anser Maxood, Faheem Ahmed, Miraat Anser, Muhammad Haroon Dalili
Sch J Dent Sci | 92-94
DOI : 10.36347/sjds.2020.v07i07.002
A mesiodens is the most common type of supernumerary tooth which may remain impacted in the maxilla to cause a variety of complications such as failure of eruption or ectopic eruption and root resorption of associated permanent teeth, formation of cystic lesions or perforation of nasal floor and eruption into the nasal cavity. Cone beam computed tomography is the radiograph of choice for the exact localization of mesiodens and treatment planning. This case report presents a rare case of a seven year old boy in which a labially impacted inverted mesiodens was perforating the nasal floor and causing pain in anterior maxillary region. A labial crevicular approach was employed for the surgical extraction of the mesiodens with satisfactory outcome and no adverse effects.